Wednesday 14 April 2010

Argie Bargie

Doug Casey's favourite place, Argentina, has reverted to their 2001 ways:
The Argentine state is taking control of the country’s privately-managed pension funds in a drastic move to raise cash.
Credit Default Swaps on Argentine bonds reached 2,900. Do we have a Latin Iceland on our hands, but with 100 times the population?
The Merval index of stocks in Buenos Aires is down 12.6pc as I write. Telecom Argentina took it badly (-25pc), so did Grupo Financiero Galicia (-13pc) and Banco Frances (-20pc).
I suppose Doug would say:
Sometimes people, who haven’t been there, look at me in a questioning way when I mention Argentina, because they’ve heard of the government. But it’s not evil, or dangerous, like many. It’s just corrupt, incompetent, and inefficient — which is actually much better than the alternatives, when we’re talking about governments.
I'm not sure, but I suspect that South America has held out against the rest off the global elitists for some time. I hope so, at least. I'd like to think that there's a corner of the world which offers safe haven. If so, then the fortunes of the Latins could be on the up, whilst the West slips into chaos and ruin.

No comments:

Post a Comment